Friday 14 December 2012

It's been a rough day...for all of us.

I'm sure everyone is aware of the horrible tragedy that took place in Connecticut this morning. At least 27 people were left dead, after a gunman opened fire in an elementary school......20 of the victims were children between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. Babies...

When things like this happen, I start to question everything. I question the actions of people. Like, why on Earth would someone, regardless of the problems they have with this life or anyone in it, decide that the only solution is to kill innocent, helpless, children?  What went through his head when he walked into that classroom? Did he look those babies in their eyes? See their fear, hear their screams? Did he care? Was he even there....or did he leave his body? Because the thought that someone could kill innocent children is just unfathomable to me.

I question God. Why would he allow things like this to happen? Is this our punishment for  the lives we lead? Or is it simply people being evil? Because I also have to believe that God is just as horrified, and heartbroken as we are. And I also believe that he is the one comforting those children now. Telling them that everything will be alright. Convincing them that they are safe. Holding them tightly in his arms, now that their parents are no longer able to. I don't believe that God is responsible for allowing this to happen.

I question sending my children to school. School is supposed to be a safe place. A place where your parents can feel good about sending you. A place where things like this just don't happen. And now, whenever my daughter gets on the bus, I have to worry about whether or not she'll make it home. I don't like that feeling.

All day, I have been trying to just wrap my head around this. And I've realized, it's just not possible. I keep hearing people say, "I don't understand." Of course we don't. If we did, this world would be full of the evil that is flowing through the people that do understand. These are our babies, our reason for living, the reason that the sun rises and sets for us. And the thought that someone could take all of that away from us in an instant is so frightening that I almost can't stomach the thought.

Tonight, my heart is heavy, and my love, and prayers are with the families, and loved ones of everyone affected by this terrible tragedy. I actually feel horrible that the only thing I can offer is my love, and prayers. It doesn't seem like it's enough. Although I'm sure the only thing they want is to hold their babies again. But, one other thing I can offer to them, are my words.

Today, you lost an extension of yourself. I'm sure it feels like you can't go on. And I'm sure you just don't want to. But please remember....we are all grieving with you. We are there, holding your hands. We are crying with you, and we are asking ourselves, "why?" We are lighting candles, we are saying prayers, and we are loving your children. And we will all be doing all we can to try and prevent things like this from happening. I don't have the answers. Stricter gun laws? Mental health awareness, and easier accessed mental health care? But I am very hopeful that by working together, we will find the answers. And maybe, just maybe a tragedy like this won't happen again. Because I have to believe that this is not what our world has become. It is too horrible to think that. But remember, we are all going through this together.

Please, everyone. Hug your babies tighter, listen to them, talk to them, tell them that you love them a million times a day. Tell them that you are proud of them, and that they can do anything. And above all, teach them to love others.

"What the world needs now, is love, sweet love. It's the only thing, that there's just too little of."

No comments:

Post a Comment